Saturday, November 12, 2011

Soup Season


I was going to make my next blog post about the one recipe I've tested so far for Terry Hope Romero's new cookbook, but then I made this soup. I was mindlessly watching the Cooking Channel recently on one of my days off and Kelsey Nixon's show, Kelsey's Essentials, came on. This particular episode was about autumn meals or something and, while the main focus was on this roasted turkey, I kept watching to see her make a rustic fall vegetable soup since I had been craving Panera's vegetable soup. It looked mighty tasty and very easy. So last week I looked up the recipe online and went shopping for the veggies. I've mentioned before that I'm not really a soup person, but I think I may have just convinced myself of that because of canned soups I'd eaten growing up. Homemade soup is soooo much better! Anyway, I'll cut to the chase here and just tell you that this soup is one of the best soups I've ever eaten in my almost-31 years (even better than Panera's!). I did alter it a bit by using vegetarian chicken-flavored bouillon cubes to make my "chicken" stock; using tomato sauce since I didn't have any crushed tomatoes on hand; and adding celery, just because (yeah, that's how I roll). Eric had made some homemade bread a couple days before and the thick slices were perfect for dipping in the soup. I will probably make this soup quite a bit during these colder months. And love every bite.

[Many thanks to Caitlin for providing the HTML links link. :)]

No comments:

Post a Comment